1

Above: A view of the Howe Peaks during my ascent shortly after sunrise.
Click on any image to see it in its full glory—you may want to expand your viewing window to see it as large as possible on your monitor. Referencing a picture's number, please comment on any image that you feel is exceptional. As always, let me know if you see an image you would consider hanging on a wall at your home or office. Thanks. Enjoy!
2
Above: A view of the Howe Peaks fom Basin Ponds.
3
Above: A view of the South Basin from The Knife Edge during a brief break in the clouds.
4
Above: Looking back to the west across The Knife Edge before beginning my descent. Can you see the other hiker?
5
Above: A glimpse to the south across The Knife Edge from just below the cloud ceiling
6
Above: A view to the east after breaking cloud cover at the beginning of my descent off The Knife Edge.
7
Above: Another view to the east.
8
Above: Millinocket Lake to the south just under the cloud ceiling level.
9
Above: Anyone know what mountain this is off to the east of Katahdin? ... Barnard Mtn? ... Deasey Mtn? It made for great subject matter.
Above: Late afternoon light looking north.
_____
Here are a few shots of me and a 'friend' taken along the trail:
Above: Entering the cloud cover heading up Hamlin Peak ... Basin Ponds in the background.
Above: On The Knife Edge
Above: End of the road for these Cabela's Mountain Hunter boots ... 21 years ... it was a good run!
Above: As I was working my way down the mountain I heard some 'crashing' in the thicket off to my left. I remembered that the ranger had warned me of a bear in the area that had recently tasted human food and wasn't being easily intimidated. My heart was pounding. By this time it was nearly completely dark. I couldn't see anything but the murky gray shapes of large rocks on the path from which I was stepping one to another. I hadn't pulled out my headlamp out yet because my eyes had continued to adjust to the fleeting ambient light. Finally, I used the flash on my camera to see what the commotion was (this photo) ... the bull moose was a little further in the trees.
Above: Reference: I took this shot of The Knife Edge, south side of the Katahdin range, as I arrived the evening before my hike.















No comments:
Post a Comment